Paying For A Useless Degree From A College That Promotes Bigotry and Lies
“The moral of this rant; This school blows. It was a waste of my time and everyone at liberty is so uptight! If you’re majoring in science, engineering, or premed, go to a real college that has a good name for itself. Unbiased education will get you far in life, as well as a good job. If you still decide to go to Liberty, prepare to lose your rights and get brainwashed. Oh, and one more thing; If your not a Baptist, they will try to convert you. I am going to save my sanity and transfer to a REAL college as soon as this semester is over. Ye be warned!” – Former Liberty Student
It is no secret that I have a lot of animosity toward Liberty University, and both Falwells, Jerry Senior and Junior, the latter of who has taken charge since the elder bigot thankfully left this world. I have absolutely no tolerance for bigotry of any kind, and religious bigotry is, by far, the worst. It is so because those who practice it truly believe that God has ordained it. End of story. They are particularly closed minded, more so than the rest of the right wing religious nut jobs.
Jerry Falwell, Jr.’s comments about Muslims are just his latest in a long line of truly disgusting points of view. Here’s a meme for you:
Be that as it may, the Falwell family is typical of the pukechucks that have been inhabiting the American political scheme, seeking to shove their draconian, discriminatory and otherwise awful views down the throats of the rest of the country, and the world. I have written much in the past about Falwell, including his part in the religious right’s takeover of the Republican party.
“…Let me take you on a journey starting in 1973 with a man named Paul Weyrich. He organized a group called the Heritage Foundation, which he called the “New Right.” In 1973 he also founded the American Legislative Exchange Council, which had the dubious purpose of coordinating the work of “New Right” state legislators. ALEC served to give businesses help in writing bills for consideration by state assemblies, and they did so by the thousands.
A few familiar names that were part of this new birth of conservatism are still heard in the legislative halls. But it was 1979 before we first heard the term “Moral Majority,” which was coined by Weyrich. One of the two most influential members of the Moral Majority were Tim LaHaye (author of the “Left Behind” book series) and Jerry Falwell, who eventually became their leader. Things didn’t start to see real momentum until 1980, when speaking in Dallas, Weyrich catapulted the movement by stating, “We are talking about Christianizing America. We are talking about simply spreading the gospel in a political context.”
From that point on, thousands of fundamentalist preachers were attending training seminars designed to integrate them into politics. Powerful lobbies were being formed in addition to the Moral Majority, such as the American Coalition for Traditional Values and the Council for National Policy. Tim and Beverly LaHaye founded “Concerned Women of America.” The CWA is very powerful to this day and active in the fight against women’s reproductive rights. Others who were involved include James Dobson (Focus on the Family) and eventually Pat Robertson.”
It seems that every week there is another plethora of batshittery coming from Falwell and Liberty University. A few recent stories:
“Would you want to send your son or daughter off to study at a university founded and long administered by someone who had opposed Martin Luther King, the desegregation of public schools, the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court ruling legalizing abortion; had wanted the United States to expand, not end, the war in Vietnam; had supported apartheid, fought legislation forbidding discrimination against gays, spouted anti-Semitic rhetoric, and had voiced the opinion that the Anti-Christ walks among us as a Jewish male; had thought Chief Justice John Roberts not conservative enough, and, to top it off, showed de facto sympathy for al-Qaida by blaming Americans – especially gay and feminist Americans – for 9/11?
What if this person had not even graduated from an accredited college himself? And what if he saw to it that at this university, a fairy-tale junk version of humankind’s origins were favored in biology class over the one key fact – evolution through natural selection — on which all modern biology stands?
If you’re a decent person, the answer would be no, of course.”
Here’s a paragraph or two from the New York Times that is particularly horrible toward Muslims, titled, “President of Liberty University Urges Students to Get Gun Permits.”
“The president of Liberty University, a leading evangelical Christian college in Virginia, urged students to apply for concealed-weapons permits and said that if more people did so, then “we could end those Muslims.”
Addressing both the gun-control debate and the attacks in San Bernardino, Calif., that killed 14 people on Wednesday, Mr. Falwell suggested that the victims might have defended themselves if they had been armed.
“If some of those people in that community center had what I’ve got in my back pocket right now…” he said, trailing off amid applause and cheers from the audience. He then said, apparently joking: “Is it illegal to pull it out? I don’t know.””
To be sure, Falwell isn’t alone in this. The fundamental Christian right is full of these ignorant, bigoted, discriminatory individuals who seek to mold young minds in a way that borders on brainwashing and skirts on the edges of mental abuse. Liberty University was founded by Jerry Falwell, Sr., to function as the symbolic hub of conservative Christianity in politics, and it’s a job that the “university” is excelling at. Liberty has become to the academic (I use that term VERY loosely) what Fox News is in media.
Regarding the school itself, the reviews at the top of this story are not hard to find, particularly with normal young people. Here’s a page from the Liberty University Code of Conduct:
Reprimands and Consequences
* Curfew violation (one additional reprimand for each half-hour late until 2:00 a.m.)
* Late to Convocation (one additional reprimand for each 15 minutes late)
4 Reprimands + $10 Fine
* Allowing unauthorized overnight visitor in residence room
* Absence from required meeting
* Disturbance/non-participation during Convocation
* Dress/hair code violation: male or female
* Failure to respond to an official call slip (for Student Affairs use only)
* Horseplay (plus financial restitution)
* Improper personal contact (anything beyond hand-holding)
* Improper sign out
* Missing Convocation
* Music code violation
* Outside residence hall after curfew
* Residence hall disturbance/noise violation
* Unauthorized borrowing (plus financial restitution)
6 Reprimands + $25 Fine
* Attendance at a dance
* Direct disobedience/disrespect
* Disassembly or removal of residence hall furniture
* Entering entryway of opposite sex on campus or allowing the same
* Improper social behavior
* Possession and/or use of tobacco
* Unauthorized room change
12 Reprimands + $50 Fine
* Attendance at, possession or viewing of, an “R,” “NC-17” or “X”-rated movie
* Entering the residence hallway of the opposite sex or allowing the same
* Entering the space above ceiling tiles
* Out of residence hall overnight or substantial portion of the night without permission (after 2:00 a.m.)
* Participation in an unauthorized petition or demonstration
* Possession and/or viewing of sexually explicit material
* Possession of a school key without authorization
* Students of the opposite sex visiting alone at an off-campus residence
12-18 Reprimands + Corresponding Fine
* Malicious horseplay/behavior (plus financial restitution)
* Obscene, profane or abusive language or behavior
18 Reprimands + $250 Fine + 18 hours Disciplinary Community Service
* Association with those consuming alcohol
* Entering a residence hall apartment or quad of the opposite sex or allowing the same
* Entering bedroom of the opposite sex on/off campus or allowing the same
* Failure to properly identify oneselft
* Sexual harassment (i.e., unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors or other conduct or comments of a sexual nature)
* Sexual misconduct and/or any state of undress
* Threat to do bodily harm
* Vandalism (plus financial restitution)
30 Reprimands + $500 Fine + 30 hours Disciplinary Community Service + possible Administrative Withdrawal.
NOTE: For each accumulation of six or more reprimands after 30, an additional $150 fine will be assessed.
* Assault/sexual assault (minimum two semesters out)
* Failure of three Christian/Community Services without reconciliation
* Illegal drugs-association/possession, use/distribution (minimum two semesters out)
* Involvement with witchcraft, séances or other occult activities
* Non-participation/disruption/non-compliance (possible removal/exclusion from campus)
* Possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages
* Refusal to submit to an Alco-Sensor test and/or drug test as specified by the administration
* Spending the night with a person of the opposite sex
* Stealing or possession of stolen property (plus financial restitution; minimum two semesters out)
* Two or more individuals of the opposite sex together in hotel/motel room without proper permission
Then there’s the usual stuff, like the requirement of students to take classes in creationism in a biology curriculum, thereby making the entire course completely useless in the real world. Most major universities in America will not recognize a degree from Liberty as higher education. It’s nothing more than religious instruction, and a poor example of it. Given they are a Baptist organization, that is not surprising. Higher education requires critical thinking, not being exposed only to a single model with no deviations allowed.
It’s not surprising when you realize that the Falwell family has been at the front and center of the American Conservative political engine. What better way to continue their awful legacy than every four years churning out a new crop of bigots to infect our country, and work tirelessly to undo much of what has been accomplished in the realm of civil rights and equality. They are truly horrible people.
If you’re planning to spend good money on a higher education, even if you are a believer, choose another school – preferably a real university that teaches real science. Of course, if you are an extreme, right wing, conservative bigot, this is the school for you. Either way, your degree from Liberty will not only be useless, but by the time you graduate, you’ll end up being just like every other Falwell clone.
Next article I will address, once again, “Creation Ministries International.” Stay tuned…