Homosexualmisia: The Hatred of Homosexuals

FagsDeserveToDie“Homophobia? It’s not a phobia. They’re not afraid of homosexuals. They hate them.” – The Internetz

If you ask the average person what “homophobia” means, they will likely tell you it is the fear of homosexuals. This is not really accurate, although there are those who can be defined as such. One can also define homophobia as the insecurity about being heterosexual, but that’s an issue for another article. Those who are genuinely afraid of homosexuals derive their fear from the same source as those who hate homosexuals; religion.

The fact is that homophobia is not descriptive of the behavior that many religious people exude toward the LGBT community. Most of them are not afraid of homosexuals (on the surface, anyway), they just hate. The Greek word for hate is “-miso” (mis-, -misia) and it literally means “hate, hater, hatred; disgust for; revulsion of.” Thus, a more correct description is

Homosexualmisia…

No, it doesn’t flow as well as “homophobia,” but we should practice saying it because the discrimination it inspires touches the lives of all Americans, and we all pay the price for it. Homosexualmisia on its own is bad enough because it reveals an ignorance of the highest order. When combined with biblical commands, it can kill. Consider,

“If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.” – Leviticus 20:13

Murder and other violent crimes against homosexuals number in the dozens here in the US every year, and those are the cases where it is obvious. I posit that there are many more in which homosexualmisia is unknown or not recorded in case files. As most of you already know, the numbers run into the hundreds and sometimes thousands in some Islamic countries. Occasionally we read about a particularly egregious crime, such as murder, that is caught on a cellphone camera or happens within the proximity of a supporting journalist. However, the beatings, mutilations and murder of homosexuals in some of these countries are religiously mandated and often are not considered newsworthy.

Then there are the comments and slurs we all hear throughout our day by friends, co-workers, fellow students and sometimes our own family. When you put this all together, it is not difficult to understand that, in spite of the inroads that the LGBT community has made, there is still much work to do. The road ahead is likely to be met with the considerable push-back that is currently from the religious right, and will likely be increased as the LGBT community pushes forward. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand this. Just read some of the conservative blogs or click into the Southern Poverty Law Center, Right Wing Watch, etc.

Suicide…

There are countless suicides every year within the gay community, particularly our gay youth. Sometimes we read about them in a newspaper, blog or on television news. Mostly not. Mental health professionals know that these suicides are resultant of the treatment toward homosexuals and the resultant life of daily rejection due to their value as an individual being trampled upon. Suicide is several times higher among gay men as compared to straight men, and very term “straight” as an application for heterosexuals denotes that homosexuality is somehow “bent” or “crooked.” This is indicative of how a religiously influenced society perceives homosexuality.

The price paid by the LGBT youth is horrific, both by children of accepting and loving families and those who were born to fundamentally religious parents. Children of the uber-religious are often worse off. Their rearing in an atmosphere of hatred and bigotry severely complicates their lives. Statistically, a percentage of these children are homosexually oriented, and they have an even harder road ahead of them because unlike those children who are raised in an accepting loving family, these children will likely be disowned, rejected and deserted by their families.

It won’t take long, either. Homosexualmisia usually presents to a child who is immersed in a religiously fundamental environment well before they become aware of their own sexuality. The LGBT child of religious parents/family who realize their sexuality is not entirely or exclusively heterosexual are in for a hit of biblical proportions. Denial, self-loathing and other psychologically damaging personality disorders are inevitable, as the internal conflict can become unbearable. Either way, whether they choose at a young age to deny their sexuality or embrace it, there is no getting around the fact that the prejudices they’ve been exposed to are now directed to themselves.

While the children who are raised in a pro-LGBT environment do not have to deal with the situations at home that the children of the religious do, their road is not a smooth one, either. The entire “It Get’s Better” campaign and similar efforts to dissuade our LGBT youth from taking drastic measures to combat incessant bullying because of their sexuality is proof positive of this. Persecution toward LGBT youth is still rampant in all levels of educational institutions, and there is still too little effort made by authority figures to stop the torment. The result of this cycle of hatred is a suicide rate about seven times higher than that of heterosexual youth. Sometimes, bigots actually try to prevent intervention by teachers in the schools. Often, their ignorance causes them to believe that somehow homosexuality is an infectious disease that their own children might “catch.”

Final Thoughts…

Homosexualmisia distorts sex, sexuality, perception of strangers, interaction with co-workers and reaction to public health issues. As I have stated many times, the cost to society is enormous, and the personal costs to the LGBT community are astronomic. Gestures, jokes and innuendos have very unsettling effects that often lead to serious loss of self-esteem, which sometimes have catastrophic results.

The LGBT community deserve unreserved participation in all aspects of American life and discrimination of any kind absolutely need to be relegated to the same status as racial discrimination – and not just on paper.  Religious doctrines that spew hatred and intolerance toward the LGBT community should be treated just as those doctrines that advocate all other forms of bigotry, hatred and discrimination. Religious leaders who openly support the denigration and eradication of homosexuals should be regularly and publicly condemned.

I am all in favor of free speech, but rhetoric that advocates the murder or physical assault of anyone should always be met with extreme protest and those who engage in it need to be consistently and vehemently exposed. This includes boycott actions when a corporation or the head of a corporation makes hateful comments, such as the whole Chick-Fil-A debacle. Chick-Fil-A and other consumer-driven businesses that have a long history of supporting anti-gay causes do not deserve our patronage, no matter how delicious, convenient or seemingly necessary their products are.

Disclaimer: Please do not bother posting your long lists of the hundreds of companies that are intertwined so tightly that boycotting all of the offending entities would have us once again living in caves, without electricity and indoor plumbing. I can only fight what I see, and the issue of boycotting can be as controversial as spanking your kids (you should never hit your kids) or vaccination (you should always vaccinate your kids).

History reveals that religion is the catalyst, either directly or indirectly, for all of the bigotry, hatred, intolerance, discrimination and crimes against the LGBT community. Homophobia and homosexualmisia would be non-existent without religious doctrine. Period. End of story. Bigotry has no place in modern society.

The attitudes and actions by the religious toward the LGBT community are another reason why we’d be better off a completely secular society.

Enhanced by Zemanta

21 comments for “Homosexualmisia: The Hatred of Homosexuals

1. vel
    August 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm

good word. However, I think that for most Christians it should simply be “hate of everything not them”. which I have no idea what word that would be. Pasmisia?

2. CPS
    August 17, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Simply ‘Homomisia’ might work better. ‘Homosexualphobia’ wouldn’t exactly roll off the tongue either.

3. davejohnson
    August 17, 2012 at 5:32 pm

5000 whining atheists vs the Great Prophet

clubconspiracy.com/forum/showthread.php?p=81388

4. Trickster Goddess
    August 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I like ‘homomisia’ and I am going to start using it everywhere.

A couple of technical questions:

1) what is the proper pronunciation of the first ‘i’? short or long? or ‘ee’?

2) what is the noun form, the equivalent of ‘homophobe’? ‘Homomiser’?

• CPS
      August 18, 2012 at 9:45 am

In my head it is a short ‘i’ sound. As for the noun, perhaps ‘homomisiant’ since that sounds as though it could double as an adjective as well as a noun.

5. August 17, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I am not convinced of this. In my experience, many Evangelicals are very hurtful without being very hateful.

• redpanda
      August 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’m with Daniel. I was raised Seventh-day Adventist so I’m not very in-touch with the more mainline protestant organizations like the SBC, but the vast, vast, vast majority of adult Christians I’ve met who are anti-LGBT don’t hate homosexuality any more than they hate drug addicts.

They’ve been convinced of what most of us here surely believe are very harmful beliefs, but they (for the most part) don’t harm gay people out of any malice. They pity them, and desire to help them overcome what they see as a self-destructive burden, but they certainly don’t hate them.

I even know a few gay people who have been sold on celibacy after choosing religion over their own sexuality. Do they hate gay people too? Of course not! They just see their former behavior as destructive, and desire to help other gay people overcome it the same way they did.

And most of them also oppose gay rights for similar reasons as they oppose the legalization of other vices like drugs and gambling. They see these behaviors as destructive, and don’t want to serve as enablers.

Brainwashed, yes. Hateful? Not under any way I would feel comfortable defining hate.

6. M Groesbeck
    August 17, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I usually just call it “heterosexual supremacy”. Less focus on the opinions and more on the authoritarian bullshit motivated by those opinions. (Also, “supremacy” in various forms has a deservedly bad reputation when it comes to politics.)

7. Jonas
    August 17, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I think “homosexualmisia” is just too clunky to catch on. “Homomisia” drops three syllables, so it’s an improvement, but…

Aren’t the words “homosexual” and “homo” a bit dated? “Homo” has exclusively been a slur for as long as I can remember, and “homosexual” has taken on that character as well in recent years. It’s sort of like the word “Jew” in the sense that it’s in theory a perfectly acceptable word but in practice is almost exclusively used by haters.

How about “gaymisia”?

I think it has a ring to it, and “gay” seems to be the word of choice for all men and most women who are attracted to their own gender. It could be argued the it doesn’t cover the whole LGBT spectrum, but neither does “homo[sexual]misia”.

“Gaymisia”, at least to my ears, also has the benefit of sounding like a disease, which I think is appropriate.

• F
      August 18, 2012 at 12:52 am

If going that way, I would modify it or have in addition ‘queermisia’, which may be a bit more inclusive, given my understanding of the current usages for queer. And even extend it further to cover people who are variously not-(hetero)normative in some way that they suffer bigotry, at least in the sense of queermisia, but which I’ve not seen particularly represented in my current meatspace or internet wanderings. (Something is different and not conforming to my concepts of things even remotely related to gender and sex, and I hate that! That guy has got a purse!)

I do think there are good points made in the thread that the problem is not just limited to hate, and the mechanisms causing and supporting that hate or fear or shock and bewilderment or disgust or sadly misplaced concern, and combinations thereof. So if there is a Greek word particle for “othering that which (or if specifically for people, “those who”) is initially unfamiliar” -and making a tradition out of it, that would be good if we’re on word-building expeditions.

For all I know, though, I am completely ignorant of another term or terms already extant and better made.

8. nualle
    August 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I disagree with your premise, that hate is easily separable from fear, so I think the current usage, homophobia, while truncated, is essentially apt.

I also had to cringe at your neologism. Homosexual-misia mixes Greek, Latin-to-English, and more Greek in a way that, as others have said, rather trips over the tongue than off it.

Homoerotomisia? Still a bit long but all the Greek elements are in common enough use in English that it wouldn’t take much explaining.

If as vel @2 suggests, we’re looking for “hate of everything not them,” then either:

Panheteromisia… still too long… or perhaps simply
    Heteromisia, which is worth at least a chuckle for irony.

And TG @5, I’m guessing the noun would be formed -c, making
    Homomisiac… which does sound suitably unsavory.

• nualle
      August 17, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Another approach to “hate of everything not them” would be:
      Xenomisia

But xenophobia already exists and, first argument applying, seems apt to me.

9. jj7212
    August 18, 2012 at 3:23 am

I think Al’s use of this new word was just an attention gainer at the beginning of his article. The key word here is ‘bigotry’ and how it sucks that christians all over America promote it. Even in small town Ohio where I grew up. There are some good christians who accept gay people, but they suck at fighting against bigotry because it would expose the bullshit of the very religion they follow. Not much more for me to comment on other than I support Al and his insightful thoughts because he makes me think about what I read.

10. August 18, 2012 at 12:24 pm

“Homophobia” has the advantages of being well-known and easy to pronounce. It also has the advantage of also so very often being accurate.
    Off the top of my head, the only (bad) arguments I can think of that are used against people who are GLBTEtc are that it’s “not natural”, “disgusting”, and “immoral in the sight of God”.
    But look at the arguments that we usually hear.
    “They will destroy society!”
    “They want to recruit your children!”
    “They will destroy the traditional family!”
    “They get diseases and die young!”
    “They hate God and want to destroy Christianity!”
    “What if one of them makes a pass at me?!?!”
    “They will destroy America!”
    Much of the noise we hear from the homosexualmisiaists (?) is fear-mongering plain and simple and that makes “homophobia” a perfectly fine word to use.

• August 18, 2012 at 8:26 pm

“Homophobia” has the advantages of being well-known and easy to pronounce.

Plus it has the added bonus of belittling and othering people who suffer from phobias. So score!

• August 20, 2012 at 11:39 am

A phobia is an irrational fear. The fear of homosexuals is irrational.

And I say this as someone with a phobia of my own.

11. R.W.
    August 18, 2012 at 6:54 pm
  12. August 18, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Good word to use. For a large part of the Christian “right” in America, I like the term “misoxeny” or “misoxenist” as they seem to detest anyone not exactly like themselves.

13. smrnda
    August 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

I think that homophobia, as a term, really isn’t totally accurate, though the new one is a bit of a mouthful, it seems more accurate.

As to whether or not Christians hate homosexuals, I’m going with actions – if your actions are designed to harm someone or discriminate against them, saying you don’t hate them with a friendly smile isn’t a meaningful indicator of how you actually feel.

Christians and homosexuals reminds me of how a lot of highly racist white people can be polite to minorities and then say something totally bigoted the moment that no minorities are present. The hatred is there, it’s just covered up at times.

14. TheVirginian
    August 20, 2012 at 4:27 am

Another excellent post.
    But, fear/paranoia is probably the most dangerous element of Christianity. Fear creates hatred. The theology-based fear of Jews ultimately drove European Christians to murder some 6 million Jews and, in part, to invade Russia (20-30 million dead in the USSR) to wipe out godless Judeo-Bolshevism. Fear drives much hatred. Christian fear of “contamination” by any dissent, any deviation from salvation-creating orthodoxy creates hatred of the deviant. It’s ultimately paranoia that makes Christianity so dangeorus. It means devout Christians are so scared of outsiders they literally cannot talk to them or consider that the deviant might be decent people.
    Also, language is a problem. I agree that “straight” is a bad word in contrast to “gay.” The problem is, “gay” implies that heterosexuals are unhappy, and might be happy only if they were gay. That’s why I despise the use of the word “Brights” for freethinkers, because it implies that non-freethinkers are “non-Bright,” that is, stupid. I don’t have a big problem with gay, as it is relatively innocuous, but “Bright” should get the cold shoulder.