Radical Religion: Common Threads of the Lunatic Fringe

“But it is dominion we are after, not just a voice. It is dominion we are after, not just influence. It is dominion we are after, not just equal time. It is dominion we are after. World conquest.” – Thomas Ice

I get a lot of email from fundamentalist Christians who chide me for having “the audacity” to compare their brand of Christianity with radical Islam. I have visions of pots and kettles, as these particular Christians, like their radical Muslim counterparts, also believe that everyone who does not hold to their brand of the faith are as equally doomed to hell along with everyone else. This is a belief that most mainstream Christians and many Muslims do not adhere to. Trust me, I’ve been to plenty of interdenominational events in my past, and Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, etc. all pretty much play well together. I’ve been to Islamic community centers and have seen all sorts of people hanging out, not killing each other, as well.

However, when you compare radical Islam and Christian extremist doctrine, the commonalities between the two faiths are very apparent. The problem starts with their use of the Bible and the Koran as venues for the expression of their hate, bigotry and intolerance. Particularly the factions who cherry-pick the parts of their holy books that promote the murder of homosexuals, unbelievers, adulterers, fornicators, disobedient children and members of other religions – and perceive those words to be very literal and entirely relevant to contemporary society. There is no getting around the fact that the Bible and Koran have much in common when it comes to “death” commandments.

Infidels, Injustice and Ignorance…

Radical Islam and Fundamental Christianity are responsible for unspeakably horrific acts toward infidels, as well as their own members, past and present. One simply cannot look past all the evil that these two religions have perpetrated on humankind. Sure, there are good deeds being done in the name of these religions, but the ends do not justify the means, especially when you consider the proven ability of unbelievers to be altruistic and charitable. When you take away the comparatively little good from all the horrible things that have been done by the extremists in the name of the Christian and Islamic gods, it becomes quite apparent that there is little use in the world for either of these forms of the religions.

Members of the lunatic fringe of these two faiths are narcissistic, psychotic sociopaths. That’s a dangerous combination and the threat of both the physical and intellectual destruction of our species remains imminent. Where radical Islam is concerned, the threat to our species is physical. The access to weapons of mass destruction, including those of the biological and chemical variety, is relatively easy. The willingness of these radicals to use them has already been demonstrated. Where fundamental Christianity is concerned, the threat to our society is mainly on the intellectual level.

If you think intellectual terrorism is a joke, consider the continuing efforts of the Christian fundamentalists in the United States to rewrite history, to replace real science with creationism in the classroom, and to transform the entire nation into a Christian Theocracy. Secular civil rights organizations are fighting a seemingly never-ending battle to defend the First Amendment from its abrogation by literally thousands of politicians and educators in all levels of government and academia who insist on injecting their religion into their respective venues.

To Rule The World…

Radical Islam and fundamental Christianity have one goal, and that goal is total world domination. Radical Islam would accomplish this by killing all the infidels and apostates. Fundamental Christianity would accomplish this by dumbing down the entire human race via inaccurate understandings of history and science.  One would argue that both of these religions are making headway. Tracking radical Islamic terrorism is easy. Just count the bodies. Tracking the efforts of fundamental Christianity is a little more complex, as their efforts are a little more sublime.

Slowly, more and more people are allowing reason to give way to fairy tales, impossibilities and outright untruths. But it is trackable, as reliable polls show that there exists a rise in the number of American Christians who believe that the United States is a Christian nation founded on biblical principles, in spite of the historical documentation that proves otherwise.

The theology of world dominion of fundamental Christianity and radical Islam are a particularly deadly poison on our society. They are responsible for more damage to the human race than any plague ever has. Fundamental Christianity, in terms of violence due to evangelical fervor, still has a commanding lead over radical Islam when it comes to atrocities against the human race.

I’ve Said It Before…

The doctrines and dogma of the extremists within Christianity and Islam retard new discovery, insight and enlightenment and promote ancient superstitions brought on by ignorant men of an ancient age who lacked understanding in even the most basic of the sciences. The punishments for perceived transgressions against their gods involve gross violations of even the most basic human rights. The comforts that these doctrines offer are a dangerous psychological ruse. The charity they proffer comes at an unacceptable price and can be accomplished just as effectively without the inclusion of extremist dogma, doctrines and the missionary destruction of indigenous cultures.

Religious hope is false and irresponsible when it relies on methods that are ineffective and come at a steep cost to the human species. There has to be a line drawn in the sand regarding the fundamentalist and radical versions of both Christianity and Islam. This also includes poor stewardship of our environment. As a species, we are responsible for our continued existence, and while there can be events out of our control that can cause our extinction, for us to stand by and allow a gaggle of irrational, unreasonable, mentally ill, intellectually retarded religious zealots to exterminate us in their fight over which fairy tale is true, whose mythical deity should rule the world and the fact that most of them are more than willing to die in the process, is a travesty.

If you think this position is alarmist, just turn on the news…

19 comments for “Radical Religion: Common Threads of the Lunatic Fringe

1. Karl
    March 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Brilliant writing. Hilariously funny, yet so accurate.

2. Buffy
    March 26, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Of course. It’s because those nasty Muslims want to run the world and institute barbaric laws out of hatred, while the Christians want to run the world and institute barbaric laws out of love.

March 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Mr. Steffani,

I did a little bit of reading, but, am by no means an expert on the subject, but, as I understand it, the Sunni Muslims, and the Sheite Muslims basically disagree on which of Muhammed’s disciples were the true heirs apparent. And while they brutally murder each other in the backward countries of the middle east and Africa, no matter which is in majority, if you say anything that doubts Muhammed or Islamic law, you take your life in your hands.

But, at the same time, I am reminded of the Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland. Bombings, drive-by shootings, assassinations, plots on the royal family. Western civilization in it’s finest hour (sarcastic).

And I am also reminded of David Karesh, and Jim Jones, and Timothy McVeigh, and Marshall Applewhite. They hatched their sociopathic agendas under the umbrella of religious freedom. And when the poisonous fruit was ripe, it was too late for anyone to help the victims. It seems to get swept under the rug and no one seems to learn a lesson.

So, it is left to freethinkers, those with their eyes open to the horror, to bring it to a halt! But, they are so busy bickering about whether or not the falsehood of goatherder mythology proves that god doesn’t exist, they have rendered themselves impotent. Silly humans.

• John Morales
      March 27, 2012 at 4:19 am

[1] But, they are so busy bickering about whether or not the falsehood of goatherder mythology proves that god doesn’t exist, [2] they have rendered themselves impotent.

1. Whatever makes you imagine that?

2. Wishful thinking on your part.

• Norman Lycan
        March 27, 2012 at 7:58 pm

JM asks:

“1. Whatever makes you imagine that?”

I do imagine things, but it usually involves supermodels. What I KNOW about atheists is that they draw a black line on the floor, and on one side is fundies, the sworn enemy, and on your side are the enlightened. The disciples of reason (from your perspective). You get angry with me because I point out that belief that the universe is an accident, is religion. Belief in anything that cannot be proven by science, is religion by your own definition. You accuse yourself of religion by your own oxymoron.

JM said:

“(Surely you’re not suggesting atheists are some sort of lunatic fringe, or that we’re not becoming more visible?)”

I’m kinda undecided about whether you are a lunitic, but, I came here to make friends with atheists, to help them understand me, even though my philosophy is not exactly the same. My hope was that I could open some eyes, that there are freethinkers out there who don’t call themselves atheists. I meet them every day. People who don’t buy religion, but, don’t know what to think about what life is. They are not ready to change the world by destroying religion, but, they are ready to get religion out of our personal lives. You may not agree, but as deep into religion the world is, these are the real recruits. And people like you turn them off like a lightswitch. THAT is why I say you render yourself impotent. You do it to yourself.

• John Morales
          March 27, 2012 at 9:19 pm

“the sworn enemy”?

The disciples of reason (from your perspective).

“disciples”?!

Again: what makes you think the existence of the universe requires an origin?

You are very, very confused when you attribute to me your own claims.

How’s it working for you? 🙂

And people like you turn them [People who don’t buy religion, but, don’t know what to think about what life is] off like a lightswitch.

Your prejudice is showing.

THAT is why I say you render yourself impotent. You do it to yourself.

Potency is an irrelevance, not that you do yourself any favours by comparing yours to mine.

• Norman Lycan
            March 28, 2012 at 8:01 pm

JM said:

“Potency is an irrelevance”

Do you even understand the word “potency”? It means power and influence. And you think that is irrelevent in the war against religion. You have obviously missed the point. If freethinkers unite, we would have “POTENCY” and possess the “POWER” to change the face of society. Your “Bigotry” and rejection of fellow freethinkers because they refuse to join your religion has rendered your ideology “Impotent”. Dave Silverman sued the State of Utah because they erected crossed where policeman were killed in the line of duty. Ridiculous, it’s like trying to take down every cross in Arlington Cemetary. You pick your battles where you can win. It’s destined to be a long battle, so you “freethinkers” better figure out who your friends are, because that is why you find yourself alone on the battlefield. It doesn’t have to be that way.

• John Morales
            March 28, 2012 at 10:37 pm

As I said, irrelevant; I do not seek power or influence, nor am I at war with religion.

(It’s enough that I’m not wrong)

Fellowship of the freethinkers? My religion?

(Whence the scare quotes?)

My friends prefer honesty from me, but everyone gets it.

4. March 26, 2012 at 8:48 pm

…whereas the Catholics and Protestants differ on where the authority of Christs heirs lies…

5. Tony
    March 26, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Yep. Those darned freethinkers. All they do is sit around and argue with theists about the proof they have that god doesn’t exist.
    What’s that you say? It’s not possible to disprove something? Really? Wow.
    So what are all those freethinkers doing then? Oh, they’re trying to persuade people to reassess their unfounded beliefs using reason, logic, and evidence? They’re holding Reason Rallies? They’re setting up Rock Beyond Belief musical events? They’re writing books about what makes them angry?
    Boy, I was wrong. Those freethinkers aren’t doing what I thought they were doing. They’re actually doing the job I wrongfully accused them of not doing? Maybe I should reassess whether my beliefs are right or wrong. It couldn’t hurt. It might make me a more reasonable individual.

::End sarcastic look into the mind of another::

• Norman Lycan
      March 27, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Tony said:

“What’s that you say? It’s not possible to disprove something? Really? Wow.
      So what are all those freethinkers doing then?”

Basically, they are wasting their time. You profess that religion is bullshit because it defies proven science. Good point. But, you profess that the universe is an accident, which also defies proven science. The problem is origen, no one can prove a god was behind it, neither can you explain the circumstances the accidentally created it. And for the average intellegent citizen, that is enough to label you a crackpot. The challenge is to fuse all those people into a group that agrees that religion is bullshit. You, and many like you have made such a feat nearly impossible by casting around insults to anyone who has a different vision than you. It seems the simple request to be honest is beyond your reach. If there is no god, who can help you now?

• had3
        March 27, 2012 at 11:08 pm

The difference is the default position for not knowing something for those who rely on reason is “I don’t know” as opposed to “it must have a cause (or origin, or deity etc…)”. As there are countlessly more ways to be wrong in perceiving what is real than there are ways of being right; the assumption should be that, baring evidence, one’s perception is probably incorrect. So, do skeptics say the universe is uncaused, or merely that there is no evidence of a cause and one would expect to see evidence if it were caused. Notice the difference?

• had3
        March 27, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Oh, I forgot to add, when mentioning a deity, could you please describe the characteristics for the deity your referring to? I mean, does the deity have a gender, age, creation date, specific powers (eg omnipotence, etc..), goodness/evilness ratio, flaws, fallibilities, physical characteristics, and any other descriptions you are aware of. I request this to limit the amount of confusion that may arise when you use the term “god” and I envision something different from what you mean. Thanks.

• Friendly
        March 27, 2012 at 11:25 pm

You’ll never get tired of beating that horse, will you, Norman? What do you hope to achieve? I’m pretty sure that most of the frequent readers of FtB are willing to accept that the universe *is*, without requiring that it have a purpose or a maker. In Occam’s terms, that proposition requires less multiplication of entities. It is a simpler claim that does not appeal to anything beyond nature. By contrast, the idea that Something (But Not God) Created Everything is an extraordinary and complicated claim with loads of baggage attached. Who or what is the Something? Where is it now? How did it go about Creating? Such a claim requires extraordinary evidence which you have not presented.

You insist that we’re making a terrible mistake by alienating the “unGodly creation” people like you. Again I must judge by the evidence: Would having a whole bunch more people on these blogs leaving comments like yours — full of complaints and very little else — help the cause of atheism? Would I enjoy hanging out at atheist events with people who go on about a created universe, or being at protests or charity events with such people? On the whole, I doubt it very much.

• Norman Lycan
          March 28, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Friendly said:

“In Occam’s terms, that proposition requires less multiplication of entities. It is a simpler claim that does not appeal to anything beyond nature.”

The razor is not a mathmatical theorum. It is a point of philosophy. And it goes wrong often. For example, they treat hyperactive children with stimulants. They treat people with depression with depressants. Intuition is often wrong.

You use the term, “anything beyond nature”. From my point of view, you must have a concrete definition of what nature is, which you cannot prove, so then you must prove it is outside that nonexistent definition, which is ludicrous. If something exists in nature, it is natural whether we understand it or not! And it may exist beyond your ability to prove it exists, but that does not prove it isn’t real.

Friendly said:

“Would I enjoy hanging out at atheist events with people who go on about a created universe, or being at protests or charity events with such people? On the whole, I doubt it very much.”

You just proved my case. Thank you.

• Friendly
            March 28, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Intuition is often wrong.

I didn’t say “A Creator is against common sense.” I said it’s an unnecessarily complicated explanation, and those are *often* (though not always) wrong.

For the bajillionth time, it’s not *our* job to prove that some Cosmic Originator exists, it’s either *its* or *yours*. Surely, if it can make the universe, it or you can *demonstrate* that it’s real to the satisfaction of a few tiny entities on a small planet. Have at it.

You just proved my case. Thank you.

Anybody who’s reduced to saying that is full to the gills with weak sauce. Why, that’s almost as good as “I know you are, but what am I?”

6. March 27, 2012 at 12:07 am

Brothers under the skin … christian and muslim fanatics have more in common than they have with any freethinker. Each claims to hate the other, but they’re two sides of the same coin!

7. Steve
    March 27, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Don’t for a second think that fundamentalist Christians wouldn’t resort to more barbarism and physical violence if they could get away with it.

In most Islamic countries, religion, government and law are inextricably linked. So they have laws that allow these people to often get away with killing people they don’t like. And of course it’s socially accepted, which is even worse. In the west, we have laws against this stuff and they are generally obeyed. But if the situation here were the same as in the Middle East, the Christians would behave exactly the same way

8. busterggi
    March 28, 2012 at 12:18 pm

“Fundamental Christianity would accomplish this by dumbing down the entire human race via inaccurate understandings of history and science.”

Only because the latter can’t do as the former, not because they wouldn’t.