The Religious Right: Choking on the Grip of Atheist Activism

“I’ve had all I can stands and I can’t stands no more!” – Popeye

Resistance against atheism may still be somewhat of a status quo here in these United States, but it is impossible to deny that we are rapidly gaining ground. Atheism is one of the fastest growing social movements in the country, and contrary to what the religionists would like everyone to think, it’s got nothing to do with a “phase,” being “cool,” or being possessed by some devil, demon or jinn. It is because we have been victimized by discrimination for many years, and surveys reveal that we are still amongst the least trusted group of people in America (in some cases, even behind rapists).

Altered States…

But that is changing, and in large part by virtue of the religious right, who are becoming more and more of a caricature unto themselves in their quest to transform the Constitution into a theocratic manifesto.

The religious right are not only alienating an increasing number of mainstream believers, but causing a rise in the involvement of many atheists who have historically stayed out of religio-political frays.  The more that the likes of Bachmann, Perry, Gingrich, Paul, Cain, Santorum and the rest of the batshit crazy, utterly ignorant imbeciles that inhabit the dark, dank cellar of right wing politics flap their gums, the more of us that come out of the woodwork.

Every time one of these denizens of douchebaggery flap their gums for the television cameras, more and more atheists who have been previously content with sitting on the sidelines are starting to speak out in favor of reinforcing the wall of separation between Church and State.  Add to the mix the vile stench spewing forth from likes of Beck, Limbaugh, O’Reilly, Hannity, Savage and the rest of the Conservative talk-pukes and you have a truly vomitous conglomeration of congealed suckage so vile it continues to surpass the limits of facepalmery.

The utter lunacy that make up the antics of the Christian Taliban that permeate American (US) politics have reached a point of saturation in what a thinking person can absorb without finally deciding that the safety of the closet is no longer an option. Even though “coming out” may threaten their interpersonal relationships and their economic stability, more and more atheists are realizing that the only logical choice in the face of the steady increase in activity by the religious right is to venture out into the world of activism, where we can speak our mind and voice our disdain.

Resistance Is Futile…

The vilification of atheists is becoming the anchor knot of religion. The more they resist us, the tighter it gets. The political religious right stand before their constituency and honestly believe that their bigotry, discrimination, hatred, coercion, terrorism, slavery, misogyny and the rest of their fetid world views are the path that our country should be taking to ensure that God continue to favor the United States.  In reality, their rhetoric is like an overfull, neglected diaper on a whiny, temper-tantrum throwing infant that is filling the world with the stench of  bronze-aged lack of intellect, lack of common sense and lack of a basic hold on reality.

The religious right are a diminutive lot who cannot fill out the suit that clothes humanity.  They are the boob jobs and pectoral/butt implants of civilization. They appear real to the gawkers whose minds have been infected by the virus of religion, but to the enlightened they are little more than a peeling veneer on society, a flimsy layer of myths and fairy tales that attempt to cover the reality of our existence.

The damage that has been done by melding of the religious right and American (US) politics is becoming more and more obvious, and it engenders in the unbeliever the realization of Denis Diderot’s quote,

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Send In The Clowns…

The citizens of the United States who follow the cults of personality that make up the political religious right do so at the behest of their religious leaders, which brings a whole new meaning to “the blind leading the blind.” They remain glued to the words of their Pastors and Preachers, particularly to those who possess advanced degrees in Theology and Divinity. These degrees are a stain on academia and foster the kind of hubris that allow these leaders to actually believe that Creationism, Intelligent Design, Apologetics, Systematic Theology and the like are genuine university level studies.

In truth, these are nothing more than advanced studies in delusion. The pastors and preachers who have “earned” these “degrees” then use their “knowledge” to fart out their didactic diarrhea on their ignorant congregations whom have been convinced that their leaders have some sort of divine knowledge about who should be elected to public office in country that is supposed to be governed by a secular Constitution.  In reality, these religious leaders are sitting on their pompous asses with their Masters and Doctorates, totally oblivious to the fact that their “degrees” are worth about as much as a dirty, moldy dishrag and every time they wipe off the kitchen counter of humanity with them, they leave streaks of nastiness behind.

Growing Irrelevance…

Religion is becoming a more and more fractured institution, and the salacious sermons that are belched out every Sunday morning are becoming more and more irrelevant to reality. With startling regularity, the scientific community discovers or uncovers something that serves to debunk long-held religious beliefs. No matter how the believer tries to combat the cognitive dissonance that creeps into their consciousness, there is no denying that science continues to encroach on their delusion, giving more and more reason not to look up in the sky and say, “God did it.

It is this growing irrelevance of religious belief, combined with the efforts of the religious right to turn the United States into another Holy Roman Empire that fuel the fires of atheist activism.  I used to think that our species was doomed at the proximity of religious fingers to the red button that would bring about a nuclear holy war, but my fellow atheists have given me a new hope as our voices rise in a crescendo of reason, logic and righteous indignation against the mistreatment, insult, malice and injustice that the religious right are attempting to foist upon the human race.

And End Note To Accommodationists…

We are making headway, and even though we lose a few battles here and there, we are winning the war against ignorance. The gloves are off and we have no intention backing down, even when those who claim to be in our camp are fighting against us. To the atheist accommodationists out there who think that our polemic and punditry are damaging the movement, please realize that we cannot and will not cease and desist, because we know better.

We are out of the closet and in the trenches, getting bloodied and battle-scarred. We appreciate the support of those atheists and sympathizers within the religious community who still feel that they cannot come out.  But, to those of you who claim atheism but persist in trying to shut us up, you are only adding to fuel to the fire. Our dedication to free speech will not allow us to demand your silence, but puppies and kittens aside, all I can say is that you have a choice…

You can lead, follow or get out of our way…

22 comments for “The Religious Right: Choking on the Grip of Atheist Activism

1. December 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm

That was a beautiful essay.

• Al Stefanelli
      December 19, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thank you!

2. December 19, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Right on, Al! I hope that coming out and speaking up is enough. I’m increasingly worried about the Harper government in Canada–lickers of U.S. boots and Chrisofascist-wannabees.

• Al Stefanelli
      December 19, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I wish I had a like button!

3. The Future
    December 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

“The religious right are a diminutive lot who cannot fill out the suit that clothes humanity. They are the boob jobs and pectoral/butt implants of civilization. They appear real to the gawkers whose minds have been infected by the virus of religion, but to the enlightened they are little more than a peeling veneer on society, a flimsy layer of myths and fairy tales that attempt to cover the reality of our existence.”

My favourite paragraph. Well put.

4. December 19, 2011 at 5:45 pm

“These degrees are a stain on academia and foster the kind of hubris that allow these leaders to actually believe that Creationism, Intelligent Design, Apologetics, Systematic Theology and the like are genuine university level studies.”

I work within an administrative support role at an Australian university and it’s one thing when I look through the written learning materials for theology subjects, but the frustration I experience with the kind of work expected to be submitted by students – and the poor standard of scrutiny applied to this work by markers – is quite disheartening at times.

5. debugjones
    December 19, 2011 at 7:02 pm

“We are out of the closet and in the trenches, getting bloodied and battle-scarred.”

Onward atheist soldiers… Al, I almost can’t believe you used ‘blood’ in this way as a referent for atheists. I guess it’s some kind of deep literary device, but, frankly, it’s all that blood-worship in Christianity that is such a big turn-off. e.g., ‘washing in the blood…’, etc, etc…. and et cetera.

I caint wait for my next opportunity to speak-out for reason, logic, science, and naturalist materialism. I hope you’re correct that the religious right are alienating mainstream believers.

This post of yours is inspiring.

Tripp
    Milledgeville, GA.

• Al Stefanelli
      December 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Thanks, Tripp, my fellow Georgian! 😀

6. rapiddominance
    December 19, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Holy crap on a cracker! THAT was awesome! You’ve got me ate up with goosebumps, Al.

I like how, at the end, you held the fundy by the throat with your left hand while simultaneously smacking the accomodationist with the right. It was a stunning conclusion to an emotionally riveting and inspiring narration.

And it only took about TWO MINUTES to read.

• Al Stefanelli
      December 19, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Ha, crap on a cracker! That reminds that I should be getting on with my next post.. Now, where did I put that material on transubstantiation???

7. jj7212
    December 19, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Mr. Stefanelli, you are officially my new favorite author. The essays you write here are awesome! It really shines through that you were once part of the church. I always seem to connect with your anger for having been duped into the christian beliefs and ‘culture’. It’s always a pleasure to read your essays. They’re as soothing as Christmas jazz. In fact, I’m going to ask Santa for one of your books!

• Al Stefanelli
      December 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Thank you, JJ. I appreciate your encouragement.

8. CanadianSteve
    December 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Fantastic post!

9. Paddy
    December 20, 2011 at 12:26 am

Keep up the good work, Al.

We still have such a long way to go, but I’ll say this:

I remember, as a teenager, when I first started rejecting religion in all its forms. I was quite nervous, because I thought that I was one of the only people who felt that way. It wasn’t until years later that I realized there was an entire community of atheists out there and I was immensely relieved and excited.

In one of Greg Laden’s posts, he stated there are, “27 million atheists and other sorts of non-believers in the U.S.” Granted, in comparison to the U.S. population of 300 million+ it’s still a minority, but 27 MILLION isn’t exactly a tiny number. It’s heartening to know there are actually that many of us, and that we are growing.

From that fact I draw strength and confidence.

Freethought bloggers like you help me articulate the way I feel, and that is hugely important for the average, atheist lay person. We NEED people like you to show us how to get the word out, and how that word should sound.

Keep up the good work , Al.

10. December 20, 2011 at 12:40 am

Shit Al… Tell us what you really think! LOL! Nice essay my friend. Very well put.

RJ Evans
    TheAmericanHeathen.com
    AmericanHeathen.net
    ShockNetRadio.com

11. Sandman
    December 20, 2011 at 3:46 am

I picture you delvering this pep talk dressed in combat fats, helmet on at a jaunty angle, a Ma Deuce over one shouler, bandoliers of bullets wrapped over the other, and a stogie being ferociously chewed as you get the troops fired up….a bit like Telly Savalas’s sargeant character in Kellys Heroes 😉

And while we are on the war analogies bear in mind that another word for accomodationist is COLLABORATOR. I find that word s a more accurate depiction of the way I view these goons.

• Micheal
      December 20, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Anybody who can walk around with a Ma-Deuce hung lightly over one shoulder H A S to command respect. I mean, seriously. If he’s the T&E w/pintle slung over the other shoulder, I will salute. Oh yeah.

12. Happy Camper
    December 20, 2011 at 5:13 am

A Doctor of Theology degree is like gold plating a turd. It might be shinny and pretty but it’s still a turd, and equally useless.

HC

Nice Rant!

13. davidct
    December 20, 2011 at 10:22 am

It would be nice to give religion the position of irrelevance that it so deserves. With the vile coming from people who would lead this country polite acquiescence is not longer an option. The question is not whether or not to be vocal but how to be most effectively vocal.

Great rant – perhaps too polite.

14. RW Ahrens
    December 20, 2011 at 12:55 pm

If this is how you’re starting out, I look forward to your posting here with eager anticipation! It can only get better…and this was soooo good!

15. Christopher
    December 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I grew up without religious interference only be to be discriminated against as a youth and adult for it.

16. rickschauer
    December 23, 2011 at 8:40 am

Great article, very well said, and I couldn’t agree more. But this jumped out at me:

…They remain glued to the words of their Pastors and Preachers, particularly to those who possess advanced degrees in Theology and Divinity. These degrees are a stain on academia and foster the kind of hubris that allow these leaders to actually believe that Creationism, Intelligent Design, Apologetics, Systematic Theology and the like are genuine university level studies.

In truth, these are nothing more than advanced studies in delusion. The pastors and preachers who have “earned” these “degrees” then use their “knowledge” to fart out their didactic diarrhea on their ignorant congregations whom have been convinced that their leaders have some sort of divine knowledge about who should be elected to public office in country that is supposed to be governed by a secular Constitution. In reality, these religious leaders are sitting on their pompous asses with their Masters and Doctorates, totally oblivious to the fact that their “degrees” are worth about as much as a dirty, moldy dishrag and every time they wipe off the kitchen counter of humanity with them, they leave streaks of nastiness behind.

Spot on observation. So what needs action is the reclassification of “theology” in academics to perhaps Literature – under myths or superstitions.

Theology is a staph-infection on academics. Why can’t college and university administrators and all people of Letters condemn theology back to the stone age where it belongs?