The USA Needs Universal, Single Payer Healthcare

Why I don’t care about your money

I am not an economist, I am not a political scientist. I don’t have all the answers and I don’t claim to have all the answers. I do know that on October 1941, the UK Minister of Health Ernest Brown announced that the Government proposed to ensure that there was a comprehensive hospital service available to everyone in need of it, and that local authorities would be responsible for providing it. This was the birth of the NHS in the UK. It was not popular at first, but if you ask almost anyone in the UK about their NHS, they will tell you that they wouldn’t give it up for all the tea in China.  The claims by the GOP that the NHS is some horrible program that is bankrupting the UK and that most people don’t get the care they need is total and complete bullshit propaganda.  I know enough people in the UK that love their NHS.

The thing is, dear readers, every time I make a comment about universal, single-payer healthcare for the USA, the very first responses I hear from the GOP, members of the Tea Party Movement, Libertarians and the like are always about money. Either we can’t afford it or that it is robbing the rich to pay for the poor. I find this morally reprehensible.

Until we make a decision to put the health of human beings over the almighty dollar we will never conquer this problem. I am not making my comments from a political point of view, from a religious point of view or from an economic point of view. I am making my comments out of my basic, evolutionary instinct for survival. Like many people in our country, my illnesses are incurable and degenerative. As well, like many people in my country, if I had access to proper medical care, my life expectancy would span about another twenty years. Without it, I will not see fifty, and I will be 48 next week.

Facing a painful, slow death does not engender in me one ounce of sympathy for those who would put money ahead of my life. I cannot bring myself to give a flying fuck through a rolling donut about someone who is making a six-figure salary bitching about another 10% added to their taxes to pay for universal healthcare.

When those of you who are healthy and financially secure end up sick with no cure for what you have, unable to work, facing a year before you can get Social Security benefits, two years plus before you can get Medicare (which is shit), making steady trips to the pawn shop selling everything you own just to eat and keep your lights on, watching the repo man put your only means of transportation on their tow truck and have to tell your children there will be no birthday presents and end up staring in the face of a very uncertain future that includes not being able to afford the medication that will allow you to live, then I will very interested in what your take on an NHS for the USA is.

Those of you who put a dollar ahead of the health and life of one of your fellow human beings cannot imagine the immensity of the fuck I do not give about your wallet.

———————————————————————–

Al Stefanelli is the author of “A Voice Of Reason In An Unreasonable World – The Rise Of Atheism On Planet earth.”  He also writes for the National Atheism Examiner and Yahoo! He is also the President and Founder of the United Atheist Front, wich can be found on the Web, Facebook, Twitter, Podbean and YouTube.

7 comments for “The USA Needs Universal, Single Payer Healthcare

1. April 28, 2011 at 9:16 am

I have had this argument so many times with religious people who somehow manage to make the convoluted argument that it is more moral to avoid “stealing” money from people in taxes, than it is to save people’s lives with government paid health care. It really takes a theological mindset to twist simple morality into such a stupid conclusion. It strikes me that if we didn’t have this ignorant religious bigots with their minds so filled with convoluted theo-nonsense, we would have had government paid health care long ago.

I don’t blame you. I’m relatively healthy and I have the same attitude toward people who are more interested in keeping a dollar in their wallets than the lives of their fellow citizens. Fuck them all.

2. J707
    April 28, 2011 at 11:48 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

We need that money for emergencies. Like for when big corporations slip and fall in their own shit after ripping off the very taxpayers they expect to bail them out.

3. Sandman
    April 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

When I lived in the UK I paid around 25% of my wages in tax and National Insurance. Now the rate is lower – around 20%. I dont know what it is in the US….I guesss lower although your taxation system is a lot more complex than ours what with state and national level taxes.

As a nipper I had a bad accident at school and spent two months in hospital having facial reconstruction and plastic surgery. Ive had two bad motorbike accidnents requiring hospital stays and post hospital physio treatments and in one case PTS therapy. Ive been down to the local doctor once or twice a year for coughs and such and subsequent pharmacy visits, and one trip to the claphouse with a dose o crabs.

Cost to me? NOTHING, NADA, NOWT….. FREE.

As a younger lad, during hard times, I spent a 6 month period unemployed. I was given welfare payments from the day I was laid off to the day I started a new job. Not a lot of money but enough to get by. Taxes, NI payments, and bills for utilities all paid, as was my rent.

Cost to me… NOTHING.

when I went to University the first two times for my degree then my masters the government paid my costs and tuition fees and gave me a basic living grant, and I got free accomodation.

Cost to me… NOTHING.

And sure when I worked I paid my taxes like a good responsible citizen.

did I mind one bit paying those taxes?

NOT ONE BIT

and why…..?

Because Im English, and was brought up to believe our welfare state and NHS made us a better stronger nation. And it did. And ask Englishmen whether they are their brothers keepers and they will proudly answer YES. And like you say Al, we LOVE the NHS.

America has always been a “say one thing do another” country. Your rightists love to claim you are a christian nation, and labour under the delusion that you are gods chosen, whilst at the same time being the least socially developed Western state, and certainly the LEAST christian. The exceptionalists love to scream you are number 1 while the stats say you aint anywhere in the top 10 (unless it comes to murder rates and gun ownership).

But any country that can stillbirth a hideous heretical abomination like the Prosperity Gospel is truly rotten to the core. The continued popularity of snake oil salesmen and faith healers like Hinn steadily rots your insides, and the selfish small minded NIMBYs they breed stifle any real social progress.

The fact most of your population uses socialism as a swear word or smear accusation just says it all. Its that same quality that allows your politicians to get away with lying about how the NHS bankrupts the UK. It doesnt….economic crashes caused by US stock market collapses or US banking crisises that trigger global collapses are what fuck our economy up.

Al usually your posts make me laugh and smile, or curse and splutter. Im a full on Stef junkie now. Theres nothing goes better with my coffee and cigs than a dose of Al.

This one made me want to cry.

My heart goes out to you bro, and I hope you never stop fighting the good fight, and someday your kids will make the changes your country needs. Maybe you will get lucky and the current poisonous mudpit the Republicans and Teabagger loons have created will see a massive landslide in 2012 and more confident Dem govt that will create single payer single provider universal healthcare coverage….and next year not next generation.

Keep on punching bro…my days would be greyer without a good dose of Al.

• April 28, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thank you, my friend. I look forward to your comments as well. If I ever find myself accross the pond, we’ll share a pint and you’ll have to show me around. 😀

4. qwertyuiop
    April 29, 2011 at 9:28 am

A question to the idiot Americans who still defend their for-profit corporate health care system: if that system is so fucking fantastic, why isn’t the rest of the world falling over itself to implement it?

5. TitusInChains
    April 30, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I do find it hard to reconcile the fact that as an atheist I feel as though I have far more compassion for my fellow man, and my actions show it – while it is the self-proclaimed Christian conservatives who claim moral superiority and authority but whose actions show an appalling lack of compassion and tolerance towards everyone, even fellow Christians.

6. Trent
    May 25, 2011 at 1:33 am

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I see that yours is strong. What I don’t understand is how someone with such good grammar, could be such a dipshit. You, sir, should look at both sides of a subject before you post retarded nonsense like this. Please go fuck yourself. Idiot.