Tea Party Doctrine: Screw The Poor, The Old And The Disabled

How The Tea Party, Libertarians & Most Of The GOP Would Destroy America

“Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

These words can be found on a plaque at the Statue of Liberty. They used to mean something. They were the principles behind what our country used to represent. But they have been tossed aside by many Americans in favor of an enormous lie. Conservatives, particularly Tea Baggers, many Republicans and almost all Libertarians talk about “small government,” and too many Americans have fallen for it.

The biggest culprit of the abrogation of the ethics and morality of our Nation is the Tea Party. Their arrogance and ignorance do not allow them to understand that the democratic republic government of the United States was created because most individuals in a free market are unable to provide for the common needs of society by themselves.  Infrastructure, utilities, education and yes, the common welfare of all of our citizens.

Despite their proclamations, there does not exist and never will exist any private charity that will be able to feed or provide health care for those too poor to afford it. A child should not go hungry because school lunch subsidizations get canceled.  Nobody should go bankrupt because they cannot pay their medical bills.  Nobody should be left to die because they cannot afford proper healthcare. Nobody should be put out in the street or lose their means of transportaion because of health problems. The Tea Party supports reforms that, if passed into legislation, will be detrimental to all but those at the upper echelon of society.  The wealthy and those with Cadillac health care plans will undoubtedly benefit, but they are not the majorty.  The rest of us will be kicked to the curb, like trash, left to wither and die without so much as a second thought.

There are many elderly, poor and/or disabled Americans who are watching, waiting and hoping that this is just a passing fad, that these people will fade away into obscurity along with all the other nutters who have come and gone.  We are waiting for a concise answer as to what will become of us, because it doesn’t look favorable.  Especially when you have politicians sucn as South Carolina Lt. Governor Andre Bauer, who said,Don’t feed the poor, it makes them breed.”

I have a personal stake in this.  I am disabled.  I have Chroinc Aquired Peripheral Neuropathy, Trigeminal Neuralgia, Distal Median Nerve Disfunction, Demyelinating Polyneuropathy, Ataxia, Mild Ephasia and Major Depressive Disorder.  I won’t go into the details, but suffice to say, I am unable to work.  I am fighting the Social Security Admonistration for disability benefits that I paid into for almost thirty years, and it will be a year until I actually start getting benefits. In the mean time, I will have to rely on Medicaid until I qualify for Medicare, and other social welfare programs such as food stamps, etc.  While I wait for my benefits, I have the added stress of knowing that it is only a matter of short time before my car ends up on the repossessors tow hook. I wonder if I will be able to keep my lights on, or even be able to remain in my home.

I am not alone, not by a long shot. There are hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people who are in the same boat, or one that is listing even more toward capsizing.

We are the tired. We are the poor. We are the huddled masses yearning to breathe free. But, according to the Tea Party, the Libertarians and most of the GOP, we are a useless drain on society, stray cats that should not be fed, lest we breed.

Thus, I watch with horror everytime one of these morons open their mouths and tout their poisonous drabble.  I’ve lost count over how many times I have facepalmed due to the utter failure of common human decency that is exhibited by these people.  Do they not understand that our government is the sum of its citizens and when it fails to provide security for all of us, not just in the military sense, but also economical and through health care, then government has failed? The Tea Party wants to sacrifice a vast number of Americans on the free market altar. They would close our borders and disparage our uniquely American ethnic melting pot by mandating English as a national language. They would continue to rape our planet through extreme environmental irresponsibility. They would destroy the lives of many of their fellow citizens by eliminating medicaid, medicare, social security and unemployment compensation. This is their platform, and it causes me great concern for what my children and grandchildren will have to endure if people like this end up in total control of our government.

There are days, more often than not as of late, that I am glad I am dying.  That I don’t have many years left, because we are handing over our nation to tyrants who would regress us back to the time of the Robber Barons.

“But while they prate of economic laws, men and women are starving. We must lay hold of the fact that economic laws are not made by nature. They are made by human beings.”  – President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Here are some wise words from Mike Malloy:

———————————————————————–

Al Stefanelli is the author of “A Voice Of Reason In An Unreasonable World – The Rise Of Atheism On Planet earth.”  He also writes for the National Atheism Examiner and Yahoo! He is also the President and Founder of the United Atheist Front, wich can be found on the Web, Facebook, Twitter, Podbean and YouTube

27 comments for “Tea Party Doctrine: Screw The Poor, The Old And The Disabled

1. sly
    April 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

It is a sad fact that we, Americans, have been so expertly divided by the masters of the political system, that we may never be able to come together again. We are like crabs in a tank, clawing and scratching and pulling each other down, rather than working together to hold each other up, lest one of us gain “an advantage”… never thinking that those on top could reach down and help the others up as well.

• martha
      April 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm

your comments makes my eyes sting with sadness. This is the great irony of this debate. Those on top (and its all relative, isnt it)dont have the perspective to see that they can be plunged to the bottom any time. And once they are on the bottom, their political needs and voice often changes. If we could maintain enough perspective to see that we all do better when we all do better. its not a finite jug of water. Educate, provide healthcare, train, and do it thoughtfully, and not for one polical season. You wont lose by my winning (winning!) and I wont lose by your winnning. Its not socialism. Its humanism.

2. Abby R
    April 15, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I know what your going though : my mom finally got put on disabitly after fighting it since 07 and now they took away all her medical and she has to put out 2000 in hospitol bills every three months plus pay the bills [which I beileve add up to like 1000 or something v.v idk they dont let me know much] plus food bills. She only gets about 800 and 100 of that goes to student loans and then the rest is suppose to cover everything else ?! .-. yeah riight thats hardly enough to get by plus we are suppose to get child support for me but : that douche bag mofo doesn’t pay sh*t. and Child support and some of that 800 is going to be get taking away come June Even though yet I’ll still be living here not to mention nobody is hiring here either soo I can’t even help out and she is always saying ooh don’t worry and soo on : its hard not to you know because you never know if your going to have enough money to keep going… plus they also cut my medical also and since I have to give blood like every other month or soo thats another 200 to 300 right there :[ The Goverment has really fucked us over a whole sh*t loads of the american people the goverment has just simpled screwed over v_v

3. April 15, 2011 at 1:55 pm

As a member of the Tea party, I must take exception to your comments. First of all you have my sympathy for your condition. I have never heard anyone in the Tea Party who would take away your benefits. You have a legitimate need.

What we object to is 5 generations on welfare. Prior to the Great Society program instututed by Johnson, the percentage of two parent families in the black community was over 90-% now it is like 28%.

We have had free Pell grants and cheap student loans for anyone who wanted to go to college and improve themselves and pay their own way in society. But no they would rather stay on welfare, foodstamps and section 8 housing.

I would support your getting medicare as well as SS disability as would my Tea Party members, so please, while I understand your fears, don’t disseminate false information about our movement. The other thing that we want to do is have a balanced budget instead of runaway government spending. We are currently borrowing 40% of our federal dollars from the Chinese and Obama wants to actually increase this.

John Wilder

• April 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thank you for a well-constructed reply, as well as your comments regarding my condition. I am not a democrat, in fact I am not affilliated with any political party. I am just not impressed with what I have heard from many of the tea partiers. I want a balanced budget, too, but not at the expense of the eldrly, poor or disabled. I agree that welfare fraud is a problem

• martha
      April 16, 2011 at 9:51 pm

who is “they”? I see about 30 students on Financial Aid every day, and I rarely see two who are alike in person or on paper. Who are “they” and how do you know that “they” would rather stay on welfare? How do you know what it takes to lift someone up who has never been lifted? I don’t know what it takes – but who will lift people off the ground who have no future once it is taken away? I only know that if we help less, we will only need to help more.

• kay
        June 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

I agree with you Martha, WHO ARE “THEY”? OOooooooh that fries my butt.

4. April 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Al, why don’t you actually attend a Tea Party function and actually ask them if they believe in balancing the budget on the backs of the elderly and disabled?

Nothing beats propaganda like actually investigating for yourself

Blessings on you and yours
    John Wilder

• April 15, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’ve been to a couple here in the Atlanta area. The signs that some of the supporters were either indicative of what I wrote about OR the Tea Party has no clue what goes on during their rallies. I have made it no secret that the message of the tea party was intriguing when the movement first started. Somehow it was seemingly taken over by the religious right and their fundamental religious ideologies infected much of the entire movement. I think that is a shame.

• Daniel
      December 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm

In point of fact, I have done a great deal of investigation of the Tea Party, their ideology, their demographics, and so on. After much work, I found one group who most closely matches their doctrines and plans, and that is the original Nazi Party of the 1930’s. Think about it, both are extreme right wing, white, anti-government (the Nazi’s wanted to overthrow President Hindenburg’s conservative Democratic Party), they both hate those who drain society (poor, disabled, etc), both want to end social programs, both the Tea Party and the Nazis are right wing Christians, anti-immigrationists, and militant in their slogans and speeches. Both the Tea Party and the Nazis spread inflammatory language in their speeches, filled with lies and hate to scare the masses to try and meet their goals. This is not an organization that can be allowed to exist in the U.S.

5. waltinseattle
    April 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm

My heart goes out to you, and I have to say you are wrong about many Tea Folk. Yes, I know too well that there is a trend in the right, its every dog for himself, but I know that there is also a great morality underneath that is tied to non-governmental solutions, it’s not all take mine and the rest be damned. Tea is large and diverse. And a huge minority were Obama voters! You, I and others must try to connect and argue the case for a collective civilization, not a motley collection of self interested bandits. E pluribus unum, not e plurubus plurum!

Actually, many of us try to show that the cold-hearted Rep is much the same as “commie eugenicists”; and the vast center understands this…Don’t give up hope.

6. April 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Al, surely you must understand that there will always be a few cooks attracted to a cause. I am saying that of all the contact that I have had with the Tea Party, I find them neither racist or self centered. We want the out of control spending stopped.

but then yuo go and change the rhetoric claiming that the reliqious right has taken over. Do you object to the religeous right having a say in our government? I am part of that religeous right.

Study after study shows that the religious right give far more to charity than do non christians and I am talking about individual charities not to their churches.

For example we want Planned Parenthood defunded for reasons of conscience. We allow concientous objectors not to go to war, why not christians objecting to killing innocent babies.

Planned Parenthood has a multi billion dollar a year industry in the abortion business. They don’t need federal funding. They clain that they provide women’s health services with the funding. That is just window dressing. You must remember that poor women already have medicaid for their health care needs. I would suggest that we defund Planned Parenthood and the money that we give to them we instead give to women’s clinics that don’t do abortions and just let PP do abortions and not bother with that health care for women.

Ask yourself this question? If the PP was so concerned for the rights of poor women, why don’t they do pro bono abortions for them, after all it only takes about 7 minutes. The religious rights contribute huge amounts to taking care of women and children.

The press and the libs have done their best to demonize Tea Partiers, the most laughable is that we are racist. Just like criticizing Obama is racist, not that we object to his policies or broken promises.

Let me finally address the taxing the rich. It FAILS every time. Remember when Reagan lowered the tax rates on the rich it actually increased revenues dramatically to the treasury.

Let me give you an example of a luxury tax enacted back in the 80’s by the dems becuase they wanted to stick it to the rich. They enacted a 10% luxury surcharge. What that did was to effectively kill the yacht building industry in this country. The ones who got really hurt were the blue collar guys who had good paying jobs building the yachts. They got permanently laid off.

They forgot Newton’s Thrid Law of Physics, “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” What the rich did was to go overseas and they found that not only could they avoid the half million dollar tax on a 5 million dollar yacht but that they could get the same yacht built for 3.5 million, but by God they stuck it to the rich. The tax was quietly killed later for the absolute failure that it is.

I say let us have a true democracy and have a flat tax of say 10% where EVERYONE pays it. Half of all our households pay no taxes at all while the rich are paying 40% of all the taxes. If you made a million dollars a year or $10,000 a year, you pay 10%. The people who are not paying their fair share are the half of the households who are paying no taxes. And for the record, I am not rich.

John Wilder

• April 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

John,

Yes, I am aware that every group has it’s kooks, but I am not talking about the kooks. If you saw the emails I get from Tea Party supporters on a regular basis, you’d be flabbergasted. There are aspects of the Tea Party that I fully support, including a flat tax and the support of our defense budget. There is much that I cannot get behind.

I am not sure where you are from, geographically, but I can tell you with great certainty that here in the south there is a distinct flavor of racism that permeates it. I am glad you find them neither racist or self centered. I have had different experiences.

I understand how you could comment about changing the rhetoric, as I did not include anything religious in this post, but if you have read anything else in this blog, you would understand better my position on all things religious.

I gathered from your identifier that you were a man of faith, but whether or not you were religious was not indicated until you mentioned that you are a member of the religious right. As a matter of principle, I do object to the religeous right having a say in our government. Our country was founded as a secular nation, with a uniquely secular constitution by a group of men who understood very well the importance of keeping religion out of government. But that is an entirely different discussion.

I am pro-choice, and fully support Planned Parenthood. As well, I do not consider a fetus to a baby, therefore I do not consider abortion killing a baby. Again, another discussion entirely. As well, again, only three percent of Planned Parenthood’s budget goes for abortion.

I am a member of the Press, but I am not a liberal, nor am I a conservative. I am neither Democrat nor Republican. In fact, I do not prescribe to any political party. I vote my conscience and I am not happy with any of the politicians on either side of the fence. Again, a topic for another conversation.

I am not a proponent of trickle-down economics because by the time it gets down to where me and the rest of the poor live, it is gone. Taxing the rich is a no-brainer.

There is an epidemic of welfare fraud, and I believe that just as those who gain wealth by fraud should go to jail, those who perpetrate welfare fraud should go to jail. Those who are able to work and earn a living should not receive entitlements. However, those who cannot earn a living should not be ignored, or told that they need more “personal responsibility,” or be left to fend for themselves.

It is my opinion that those who have in exess should share the burden of providing for those who do not have the ability to maintain a minimum of keeping a roof over their head, having a means of mobility, keeping their family fed and the ability to engage their fellow human through whatever means they can.

That’s my take on it.

Al Stefanelli

• April 16, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hey Al
        I am indeed from the south. I just attended a Tea Party event last night. I saw ZERO evidence of racism. In fact they had a black Tea Partier doing a spot on spoof of Obama complete with fake oversized ears.

Al you can’t have it both ways, having a flat tax and taxing the rich disproportionately. A flat tax would tax all people equally. Excessive taxing of the rich never works. Look at California and New York who have repressive taxes on the rich. They are both on the brink of economic collapse. I have already pointed out an onerous tax on the rich that killed our yacht building industry. It has never fully recovered losing jobs to other countries. In Florida, South Dakota, and Texas, not only do we not have a tax on the rich but we have no state income tax and we are in better shape than California and New York.

Let me give you another exmaple of taxing the rich always backfires on the little guy. I used to live in Minnesota. They are a very liberal state and decided to stick it to rich landlords. They passed a property tax 300% higher than on private property houses. The landlords had no choice but to pass on the higher tax on to the renter, the guy who could least afford to pay the tax. This was another tax that was quietly killed for the utter and complete failure that it was. It also contributed to a lot of landlords selling their properties and turning them back into private residences thus reducing the rental properties which only caused rents to go up dramatically (classic supply and demand) Taxing the rich disproportionately NEVER WORKS, IT ALWYAS BLOWS UP IN THE FACES OF THE LIBERALS WHO PASS IT.

You might not consider an unborn baby, but that opinion is based in ignorance. It is not even intellectually consistent with other laws on our books.
        For example, destroying a bald eagle egg (an unborn eagle) is punishable by a $10,000 fine and a five year prison sentence. There are still fetal homicide laws on the books on every state in the union. If you hit a woman with your car, don’t kill her but kill her unborn baby, you are going to prison for fetal homicide and they prosecute people today for the crime. We have turned women into God letting them judge whether or not the baby is a person or not. They have even got late term abortion called partial birth abortion where they turn the baby into the breach position (contradicting all medical practice in ob/gyn) delivering the baby but leaving the head in the birth canal and then stab the baby in the back of the skull and suction out its brains, killing it.

The Supreme Court was very liberal when they passed Roe Vs Wade. They stated that experts could not agree on when life began so they would not attempt it.
        It is quite simple if you are intellectually honest. The definition of death is when the heartbeat can’t be resuscitated and there is no detecatable brain wave activity. We can from there reverse engineer and deduce that life should be considered a new life when they can detect a heartbeat and brain wave activity. We can detect a fetal heartbeat at 18 days after conception. We can detect fetal brain wave activity 6 weeks from conception.

As to our founding fathers, they wrote the Bill of Rights recognizing that we are given those rights by God and put on our money, in God we trust. You would discriminate against me based upon my religious views which the founding fathers were definitely against. You would purport that your views are more intellectually valuable than mine due to mine being tainted by a religious view.

Blessings on you and yours
        John Wilder

• Sandman
      April 17, 2011 at 8:27 am

Mr Wilder

by your sign off I can see that you are a person of faith, and you also dont seem to realise that in an environment like this…a rational one…your “say one thing/do another” tactics dont wash.

Look down…see the comment by Joe down there? THAT is the Tea Party.

In the same way that yee faithfull reinterpret the sermon on the mount into the greed laced Prosperity Gospel Yee Tee Baggers reinterpret the Constitution… and it doesnt wash.

See…doesnt work. You say the Tea Party are a reasonable political movement, rest of the world sees you as selfish greedy Know Nothing revisionists. The sort of retarded political throwbacks who turned socialism into a dirty word in the USA. McCarthyites, Birchers, Birthers, Truthers, Dominionists and assorted race baiting bigoted whacko conspiracist shills for big money and no heart.

Koch Whores one and all.

Al, being a yank, will be polite to you.

Im a Brit and I wont.

You sir are a liar for Jesus, and a liar for the Tea Baggers. You are a selfish small minded isolationist Fuck You Jack political throwback who wants the clock turned back to 1920.

So, please continue with the statements. On a US audience they may wash. This side of the Atlantic we class you, and report on you, for what you are. Extreme right wing bigots like the EDL.

• April 17, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Sandman
        You make a lot of unfounded statements with no facts to back them.

In what way have I made statements that say one thing and do another thing? Some facts to back your rhetoric please. I have already stated that I decry racism. I have given evidence that your brand of socialism does not work because people will do their best to avoid paying any taxes that they can get away with, especially ones that they deem unfair.

And as to being stupid, I have an IQ of 136 and a verbal IQ of 148 which does not fit with your description of stupid.

And in what way am I a liar for Jesus? By the way, as to entrepreneurship, perhaps you should read the parable of the talents told by Jesus.

As to socialism in general, we have it in the form of welfare which has been screwed, taken advantage of and defrauded and now 5 generations on welfare which was designed to be a temporary system designed to help people get on their feet.

Typical of liberals in general, you throw out mindless attacks and hate speech in place of discussing the issues intelligently. I am not intimidated by your mindless attacks.

Blessings on you and yours
        John Wilder

7. Joe Patrono
    April 15, 2011 at 11:53 pm

i think that your poisonous opinions should be kept to the likes of yourself, and others that listen to your lies and deciet.
    our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves. how dare you insult the integrity of a capitalistic society?
    if you dont like it here, why dont you just get the hell out of the USA? we would benefit from not hearing the likes of your opinions, though you do have that right, but not to insult my country, or my faith, or the murderous actions of planned parenthood…and other organizations such as these.
    have you ever lost a child? i have. two of them in a murder. a 5 year old, and a 10 year old.
    life BEGINS AT CONCEPTION, FOOL.
    you really ought to take a self examination…but of all the disorders, mental disorders that you have, and probably meds to go with it..well….dont bother.
    i will pray for you. that God will send wisdom, instead of dellusion.

• April 16, 2011 at 12:44 am

Joe,

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I am, of course, entitled to mine. It is my opinion that your ideas, obviously those of a fundamental Christian, are poisionous and full of lies and deceit. I suppose that makes us even.

As well, where did I insult capitalism? I’ve read and re-read my entry and cannot find any mention of capitalism. Where did I begrudge anyone the right to earn a profit? Where did I disparage anyone from accumulating wealth? Oh, nowhere? I thought not.

Furthermore, if I didn’t like it here, I wouldn’t give a fuck about the direction that the Tea Baggers and their ilk would like to take our Nation. It is because I do love this country and do care about the intentions of our founding fathers and their reasons and intent in founding a secular nation with a secular constitution that I express my opinions. You’ve got some pair of balls even insinuating that I am any less of a patriot as you are. And yes, I have lost a child, so don’t even go there.

As far as your opinion that I do not have the right to express myself, my opinions, thoughts, points of view, I suggest you read our constitution a little closer. Even so, I have not once insulted the United States of America. It is my hope that I will never have to, but if the religious right manages to gain control over our legislature and turns this great nation into a Christian Theocracy, I will have plenty to say about it, and it will not be nearly as warm and fuzzy as this particular blog entry was.

As far as the PPFA goes, fully 83 percent of their clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy. They provide nearly one million Pap tests and more than 830,000 breast exams each year, critical services in detecting cancer. They also provide more than four million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Only three percent of all Planned Parenthood health services are abortion services. The PPFA provides educational programs to nearly 1.2 million young people and adults each year. Yeah, sounds like a real evil organization to me.

It’s not I that need to take a self examination, but adults to still have invisible friends. Don’t bother praying for me. You’re only talking to yourself, anyway. There is no god and if you choose to believe that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree, then it is not me who needs medication.

Have a nice day,

Al

8. Tina Cook
    April 16, 2011 at 9:51 am

I love your writings. I wish you had a share feature for blogger or blogspot. I’d love to share your articles through some of my blogs. Keep on writing, I love it and agree with everything you are saying!!!

9. April 16, 2011 at 12:48 pm

John (marriagecoach1),

The tax stuff notwithstanding, everything else you replied with has been addressed, debated and debunked in this blog, on my eZines or in my book. This format is not conducive for debate, and I will not re-address all of that again.

I suggest you take a few days and read through my blog and eZine articles and perhaps buy my book. There’s a link in the upper right hand corner of the blog. It will answer all your questions and perhaps you might become a little more enlightened. You appear to be an intelligent man, religous belief notwithstanding.

Thanks,

Al

• April 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Hey Al
      That is asking a lot. I read a lot of blogs in addition to posting my own. I was simply replying to what you had written. If it was an overlap, I would have no way of knowing without reading back through the history of your blog.

I am sorry that you encountered racism in the Tea Party movement. I have not and I am partucularly against it and don’t tolerate it and would certainly not associate myself with a racist organization.

We will have to agree to disagree on other points.

John Wilder

10. waltinseattle
    April 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

And then along comes joe, venom spitin, nalice bearin, self righteous Joe, El Patron…whew!!!

A fellow citizen of this Republic no less. Sorry you had to read it, Al, Sorry I did also. I spoze he figures himself the true American, the one with a God given right to all he surveys.

Dear joe, as a diest Tsaoist, I agree that life begins at conception, as does all the influence of ones situation in life. The difference is that I am not of the divide that says that life gets preferences that the already borne do not. If you are against murdering the unborn, then have balls and speak for the criminal in court, who may have been borne to the mopther who knew an abortion were better. Ah of course- all that crap about free will and responsibility…such drivel to the educated…who know that so many are borne under near impossible conditions. But hey, some can, so all should, or damn them…such christianity, Joe.

Do you understand E Pluribus Unum? It means you don’t get your way either…and we can all live hapilly everafter as long as you don’t get upity and pushy and think youre better. Like the founder said- don’t tread on me!!!

11. April 16, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Hey Walt
    It is people like Joe who make it hard for the rest of us. I can understand that his grief is overwhelming at the tragic loss of his two children.

What I appreciate about Al’s blog is that he does not hurl hate speech at me while disagreeing with me. We in this country too many times have developed a “cowboy” mentality where we hurl insults and put downs and think later with the notion of verbally destroying the individual with whome we disagree. This is in very poor taste and does not propel your argument very well.

I do find it intellectually dishonest that the most rabid pro abortion proponents also tend to be the loudest animal rights activists.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I thought that Tsaoism has repect for all life. I would not subscribe to unborn life getting preferences that borne life has, but equal rights. You see taking your argument to its logical extreme, I could say, listen if I feel like sexually abusing my daughter, don’t you try and shove your morality down my throat. She is my daughter and what we do in the privacy of my home is none of your business. Certainly the NAMBLA organization touts this viewpoint in trying to decriminalize sex between men and boys.

The very first right granted to us by our creator and noted in the Bill of Rights is the right to life. I stand on that.

John Wilder

12. Ray
    April 16, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Al wrote: > The biggest culprit of the abrogation of the ethics and morality of our Nation is the Tea Party.

Ethics and morality are the same thing — you need not use both — but in any case a movement that has existed for barely two years is the biggest culprit? Are you out of your mind?

I am neither tea-partier nor theist, and yet the fact remains: you cannot force people to live for others. By whose ultimate authority would you do so? Upon what edict or law of nature do you base your wild assertion that government bureaucrats may legitimately force me to pay for your healthcare, and viceversa? Says who? And why? From where does such a ethic derive?

Just incidentally, roads, canals, and turnpikes were once in this country left to the private sector, and it worked well. Also, the best railroad system ever built in this country — by far — was private: it was constructed and run by one James Hill. In contrast, the government-run highway and transportation system in this country is an unmitigated disaster, responsible for over 300,000 deaths a year, with numbing gridlock and staggering waste.

You’re also wrong about private charity: it works far better than government bureaus.

I as well battle with neuropathic health issues, and have for some time, but unlike you, I’d never regard it as anyone else’s responsibility to help me. My life is not yours, nor is your life mine.

Contrary to popular belief, prior to government involvement into the medical system, the overwhelming majority of people in this country had access to inexpensive, quality medicine. Those who didn’t, were amply taken care of by private organizations and private charities, which private organizations and charities were effectively wiped out by government meddling and taxation. Government has done incalculable damage to the medical profession, and in providing “medicare for old sick people” has led this country to such decline that we’re now told that the only solution is more government intervention! This is not only incorrect: it’s a kind of lunacy.

The horrific decline in medicine began with government interference in the marketplace. It began specifically with price and wage controls, which are a form of socialism, and it began with tax breaks.

It did not begin with the free market, which would have established the best possible medicine at the lowest possible cost and would have maintained that standard as long as the medical profession was left free.

What is now termed modern medicine actually began in the early 1920s when science — in particular, germ theory — developed to the point where sickness and disease were at last being treated reliably. It was then that doctors and hospitals got much more adept at saving lives. This more highly developed service and expertise raised the value of their work, and they charged accordingly for their increased skill and labor.

That’s when the situation started: when lives can be saved and health can be gained because of developments in technology, everyone suddenly believes that it’s her right to have that thing. We see the same principle at work in, for example, the platitude “No one should go hungry when Americans throw away food.”

The error in both cases is the fraudulent notion that survival should be assured. This notion neglects the crucial fact that abundance and technology are produced — and produced, moreover, by individuals.

No one has the right to the life and labor (i.e. production) of any individual, including doctors.

An easy way to demonstrate this fact is by asking the following question: where was the right before these goods and services were produced or invented?

No good answer has ever been given to that question because no good answer for it exists.

In the 1920s, when advancing healthcare became more expensive (though still very reasonable), the administrator of Baylor Hospital in Dallas, one Dr. Justin Ford Kimball, created a system called Blue Cross. The Blues (so-called) were nonprofit health insurers. They served local organizations like the Rebeccas and the Elks Club, and — please pay attention — they kept their premiums low in exchange for tax breaks.

Tax breaks are one of the two main components to our current healthcare crisis. They are what initially created the problem.

Blue Cross, you see, was successful. Up until then, commercial insurers had always regarded medicine as a mediocre market, and therefore commercial insurers didn’t deal too much in medicine. But when commercial insurers saw that the Blues were making money, it convinced them to enter the medical field. This was not a problem, at first — until the 1940s, when private insurers increased their efforts to get around wartime wage controls, thus:

During World War II, Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s price-and-wage people, who didn’t generally permit wage increases or price increases (regardless of market forces) sanctioned a form of tax discrimination: specifically, they allowed employers to pay for employee medical insurance with pretax dollars.

This quickly became one of the few ways employers could attract new and better employees, since FDR had actually mandated that employers were no longer permitted to pay out higher wages. (How this ridiculous idea came about is another story, for another time.)

To this day, those who get employer-financed healthcare are purchasing their healthcare coverage with pretax dollars. On the other hand, those who buy their own healthcare are purchasing it with after-tax dollars.

As far as the employer was (initially) concerned, this wasn’t any different from additional labor costs — which is to say, medical insurance was not, from the employers perspective, any different from a rise in wages, and yet FDR’s price-and-wage control people did not at all see it as a wage increase. They therefore allowed it, which may seem surprising in light of FDR’s desire to control the entire economy.

Likewise, the IRS bureaucrats under FDR did not regard this maneuver as a wage increase, and for this reason they didn’t slap a tax on it. Neither did the employees see it as a real raise in wages — a fact that is singular to how this whole horrible precedent was set — because these costs are what economists call hidden costs.

The upshot: people didn’t and very often still don’t know that it is, after all, their own money paying for this prepaid medical coverage, and that medical coverage isn’t free.

In fact, health insurance today isn’t even really health insurance. It’s more properly called prepaid healthcare. But — and this is an absolute crux — it gives the appearance of being free or substantially free to the user, and it therefore substantially increases the demand for it and therefore its cost. Of course, the root of this whole problem is the misbegotten notion that healthcare is not a good and service to be traded on the open market but a right.

Let us remember what insurance actually is:

Insurance, properly defined, is what you purchase in order to avoid financial ruin in the case of a rare emergency.

Under the dangerous system FDR created, employees came to regard their healthcare coverage as a kind of blessed phenomena which came without cause or consequence. Quickly, this phenomena was absorbed into the working culture and as quickly was taken for granted: employees got used to receiving free goods, which goods, however, were not actually free. Employees just could not see that they were paying for them, and paying for them, furthermore, with pretax dollars.

A family in the bottom fifth of the income distribution pays about $450 more in taxes than insured families at the same income level. For families in the top fifth of the income distribution, the tax penalty is $1,780…. On average, uninsured families pay about $1,018 more in federal taxes each year because they do not have employer-provided insurance. Collectively, the uninsured pay about $17.1 billion in extra taxes each year because they do not receive the same tax break as insured people with similar income. If state and local taxes are included, the extra taxes paid by the uninsured exceed $19 billion per year (“Are the uninsured freeloaders?” National Center for Policy Analysis, Brief Analysis No. 120).

Among other things, this illustrates again why entitlements are such a deadly precedent: once they’re in, it’s virtually impossible to retrogress away them. Why? Because people acclimate to entitlements and in no time cannot imagine life without them. (You’re an excellent example.) It is impossible to overstate the significance of this.

These unsound insurance practices, which began some two decades before Medicaid (Medicaid was inaugurated in the mid-1960′s), are one of the two major components to our current healthcare crisis.

It is very, very important to understand that what created these unsound insurance practices in the first place was government intervention — specifically, wage controls and taxes, which made it possible to dangle the tax-break carrot.

Under true laissez faire, this not only would not have happened: it could not have. It follows, then, that the solution — the only solution — is not more intervention, which is like trying to put out a wildfire with kerosene, but deregulation.

The other major component to the healtcare crisis in this country is mandatory government licensing of everything from doctors and hospitals, to nurses and pharmacies, to drugs and drug companies. This mandatory government licensing creates what in economic terms is called a Licensing Law Monopoly. What this does is prohibit open entry into the medical field.

These two things, unsound insurance practices and mandatory government licensing, are the root of the problem.

The main error in your comment is in assuming that if government doesn’t provide it, no one will — a common and provably false assertion, which I’ve discussed many times before. As I said, canals, railroads, highways, roads, even fire departments were not always government-run in this country, and they flourished without that interference. When that interference sets in, the free market cannot operate freely against the coercive monopolies of government, and so the government dominates, botches, bloats, inflates.

That, in a nutshell, sketches the flaw in your worldview.

But I do agree with you that theists and tea-partiers will get us nowhere good. In fact, they’ll ultimately get us to the same place you will, albeit a different route.

My thanks to you all,

Ray

13. Sandman
    April 17, 2011 at 8:38 am

Careful Al…. you will be accused of being a pinko commie running dog lackey of Uncle Marx next! No doubt right now the Birchers are listing you and the blog. Maybe Glenn Beck will elevate you to National Enemy status on one of his blackboards.

You see my friend what you espouse is the enshrinement of English Socialism. I know you yanks have a hard time telling the difference between that and communism, but English Socialism is what you set out above. Its the platform our Labour party used to set out, now instead the platform of our Liberal Democrat party. It is the anathema of Republicans, and total poison to T Baggers who want the pre-Depression (the 20s one that is) USA back. The politics of Tammany Hall and the 40 Thieves.

Thing is, common sense compassionate socialism with a small S is a platform that your greatest presidents have also espoused from Lincoln to FDR, Teddy R and Wilson and beyond.

There is hope mate. The T Baggers are a flash in the pan extremist reaction like the Know Nothings. The silver lining is that they are dragging down the Republicans with them, so hopefully next election time should see the back of them and their stupidity.

14. Sandman
    April 19, 2011 at 3:38 am

Read It And Weep You Flag Wrapped T Bagger Know Nothings….

Let America Be America Again
    by Langston Hughes

Let America be America again.
    Let it be the dream it used to be.
    Let it be the pioneer on the plain
    Seeking a home where he himself is free.

(America never was America to me.)

Let America be the dream the dreamers dreamed–
    Let it be that great strong land of love
    Where never kings connive nor tyrants scheme
    That any man be crushed by one above.

(It never was America to me.)

O, let my land be a land where Liberty
    Is crowned with no false patriotic wreath,
    But opportunity is real, and life is free,
    Equality is in the air we breathe.

(There’s never been equality for me,
    Nor freedom in this “homeland of the free.”)

Say, who are you that mumbles in the dark?
    And who are you that draws your veil across the stars?

I am the poor white, fooled and pushed apart,
    I am the Negro bearing slavery’s scars.
    I am the red man driven from the land,
    I am the immigrant clutching the hope I seek–
    And finding only the same old stupid plan
    Of dog eat dog, of mighty crush the weak.

I am the young man, full of strength and hope,
    Tangled in that ancient endless chain
    Of profit, power, gain, of grab the land!
    Of grab the gold! Of grab the ways of satisfying need!
    Of work the men! Of take the pay!
    Of owning everything for one’s own greed!

I am the farmer, bondsman to the soil.
    I am the worker sold to the machine.
    I am the Negro, servant to you all.
    I am the people, humble, hungry, mean–
    Hungry yet today despite the dream.
    Beaten yet today–O, Pioneers!
    I am the man who never got ahead,
    The poorest worker bartered through the years.

Yet I’m the one who dreamt our basic dream
    In the Old World while still a serf of kings,
    Who dreamt a dream so strong, so brave, so true,
    That even yet its mighty daring sings
    In every brick and stone, in every furrow turned
    That’s made America the land it has become.
    O, I’m the man who sailed those early seas
    In search of what I meant to be my home–
    For I’m the one who left dark Ireland’s shore,
    And Poland’s plain, and England’s grassy lea,
    And torn from Black Africa’s strand I came
    To build a “homeland of the free.”

The free?

Who said the free? Not me?
    Surely not me? The millions on relief today?
    The millions shot down when we strike?
    The millions who have nothing for our pay?
    For all the dreams we’ve dreamed
    And all the songs we’ve sung
    And all the hopes we’ve held
    And all the flags we’ve hung,
    The millions who have nothing for our pay–
    Except the dream that’s almost dead today.

O, let America be America again–
    The land that never has been yet–
    And yet must be–the land where every man is free.
    The land that’s mine–the poor man’s, Indian’s, Negro’s, ME–
    Who made America,
    Whose sweat and blood, whose faith and pain,
    Whose hand at the foundry, whose plow in the rain,
    Must bring back our mighty dream again.

Sure, call me any ugly name you choose–
    The steel of freedom does not stain.
    From those who live like leeches on the people’s lives,
    We must take back our land again,
    America!

O, yes,
    I say it plain,
    America never was America to me,
    And yet I swear this oath–
    America will be!

Out of the rack and ruin of our gangster death,
    The rape and rot of graft, and stealth, and lies,
    We, the people, must redeem
    The land, the mines, the plants, the rivers.
    The mountains and the endless plain–
    All, all the stretch of these great green states–
    And make America again!

15. Chris
    August 21, 2011 at 7:03 am

@ Al

I am sorry for the health-related hardship that you are facing.
    However, as a Teapartier and Libertarian myself, i urge you to rethink your position carefully.

This country was founded as a CHRISTIAN nation.
    As such it was entirely build upon CHRISTIAN morals, which is the basis foundation of our constitution.
    The constitution however is MAN-made and thus not free of mistakes.
    Therefore we all should consider much more important the infallible WORD OF GOD, namely the 10 commandments as a moral guide and orientation for all man-made laws.

This country however has turned completely from scripture and christian morals that were the only steward for freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

I understand your will to survive in dignity.
    But basically you are demanding OTHERS TO PAY FOR YOU.
    Unless you have paid into this wrong, unconstitutional pot, you want to take away the wealth of OTHER PEOPLE, OTHER PARENTS, OTHER CHILDREN which might suffer from such confiscatory action.
    This is not justice. This is not freedom.

I hope you do understand, that by your position, you are also forcing your own children and your own grand-children to PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE, and the odds are, that they will in face pay much more, than you will receive from the federal government.
    To make it short:
    It makes not much sense, because if your children would be willing to pay for your survival directly, instead of being taxed the hell out for millions of other people, most likely it would be much cheaper for them long-term.
    You hopefully understand, that the gigantic bureaucratic apparatus to administer all the redistribution of wealth is costing TONS OF MONEY also, and basically productin nothing of value, but costs that are added to the taxes of your BELOVED ONES.

Socialism is Tyranny.
    It uses force and coercion to take away from some and give to others. It is legalised theft and legalised crime.

Some people will always be losers, no matter how much they are given or much they are helped.
    But justice means, treating ALL equally FAIR.